Friday 3 June 2016

Romantic Botanicals #35

The Spying Tomboy


I set up early at 7 am. Choose a plant and put my hut and gear there before the rain starts. I get the kids off to school then go back to my spot and there is a giant insulation truck pumping out insulation and using a generator, very noisy. I paint through it because I have already sketched out the canvas and can't move my gear because of the rain. It is so loud and I am unhappy. The iris only last a day usually. There will be a few others but this is the first one.

I look up iris paintings before I start and yes Vincent Willem van Gogh's iris are there and boldly outlined, decisive and gorgeous. I think about how when I first started painting when I was 18, I used only flat tipped brushes and almost carved images out because I had been making ceramic sculptures. So I use only one flat tipped brush to paint this painting.  I build a narrative of the one flower looking longingly at the other bud in the distance.

romantic botanicals #35, The Spying Tomboy, June 3,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12"

imagine the sound

the hut really does feel like a room

Vincent van Gogh, Irises, 1890. Oil on canvas. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of Adele R. Levy, 1958.

No comments:

Post a Comment