Wednesday 14 September 2016

Mystery Botanicals #8

Sun and Chocolate


It is so windy that my painting blows over once, things are flying by me in the wind and the flowers  are bending up and down while I look at them. A big spider clings to a flower, though the wind, during the whole time I paint. I ignore all that and make a still looking work.

These are one of my top ranked favorite flowers. The Narrow Leaf Sunflower a native prairie plant whose flower smells exactly like milk chocolate!!!! Yes I couldn't believe it when I first smelled it out on a nature walk in the southern part of the province. We kept running to each plant and sniffing it. So I bought some, planted them in my yard and here they are.

I paint the background for the emanating milk chocolate fragrance. I choose a warm chocolaty brown. The long narrow leaves curl. The stems are tall and narrow. I keep my brush strokes very simple.

mystery botanicals #8, Sun and Chocolate , September 14,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12" sunny  2.5h

No comments:

Post a Comment