Sunday 29 May 2016

Romantic Botanicals #30

Ask Me

 

Lilly of the Valley makes wonderful, intoxicating perfume. 


My daughter is going to a party today and she heard that someone is going to ask her to grade 6 grad at the party. This influences my piece. I see crowds of kids bending towards each other, gossiping chatting. This is an 8 hour painting. My other daughter says "You should feel good about this, it means you are dedicated to your craft and don't have something like writers block."So I try to be patient with myself and squeeze the rest of my life obligations into what is left of the day.

I want the main colour to be a deep green. Half way through I want to have more variety so I look up paintings with green dresses. I like the older colour palette as it seems more romantic. I use a Gainsborough as colour reference and pull in grey turquoise and a bit of yellow ocher. This work has mountain and valley feeling with fresh delicate bells and flowing leaves.

romantic botanicals #30, Ask Me,  May 29,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12"

The hut let me paint through the bits of rain.


Thomas Gainsborough, portrait of a lady, possibly Elizabeth White, Mrs Hartley, c.1786-7




No comments:

Post a Comment