Monday 23 May 2016

Romantic Botanicals #24

The Lilac Twins at Castle Moor


I butt my easel right up in the bower of lilacs. The fragrance is intoxicating.

I want a cool purple matched with a warm purple but I don't change my pallet from yesterday therefore I have less colour control. There are these set steps that I have developed. If I don't follow them the painting becomes a bit more tricky. Put easel at flower height. Sketch in pencil. Measure plant with said pencil while sketching. Lay out fresh palette of paint. Spend at least 1/2 hour mixing paint. After that it is just self care, drink lots of water, wear a hat, take breaks, take breaks to eat, and stretch. Oh and make sure all the dishes are done and the kids are fed before I start.

This is a Gothic painting. It's smearing dreary dark background is the backdrop for the main characters, the fresh faced but many faceted and spiky lilac twins. I paint it all crisp with a background I really like but it feels too busy and I want the spiky nature of the cluster flower structure to be the main focus so I blur the background out. Now it is not as well painted but it has a definite mood.

romantic botanicals #24, The Lilac Twins at Castle Moor,  May 23,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12"

backyard companions

yellow bird visitor


No comments:

Post a Comment