Tuesday 24 May 2016

Romantic Botanicals #25

Blue Eyed Wild Thing


This is native prairie plant called Blue-Eyed Grasses. I planted them a few years ago.

Ok, yes I am painting under a ladder. I worry that I may look odd but I would only be truly crazy if I kept painting under this ladder when the sun is out. The ladder/plastic hidey hole keeps the rain off. The sun bursts out and I feel that I am in a mini green house so I take off the ladder contraption. Ha see, I am sane.

I mix my palette while looking at Thomas Gainsborough's Blue Boy painting on the computer. Blue-Boy, Blue-Eyed grass seemed samesees. I love the swirling dried grass contrasted with the upright fresh grass. The six petaled flowers and the five circling bees just blend in.

romantic botanicals #25, Blue Eyed Wild Thing,  May 24,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12"

ladder/plastic contraption. My Dad first made one of these in BC so I could paint his blackberry patch in the rain.

it works!

when cloudy the flowers close up

Sun opens the flowers wide

If only this active caterpillar would crawl onto my grass I would paint it.

the paintings are pileing up in my house

I need a much much longer shelf to hold them all.

and some wet ones too

No comments:

Post a Comment