Wednesday 6 July 2016

Romantic Botanicals #68

The Three Suitors


Lavender, this is my daughter's plant. She wants her garden plot to be full of just lavender. So far I have bought her two plants. Plants are expensive. This one I paint today survived the winter and it is the second summer for it here.

Bees fly by but only the tiniest stop to investigate. Half way through painting I put on bug spray because the mosquitoes are biting unfortunately no more bees come near either.

I go for that dark background that pushes the pale colours forward but I don't want a dark painting today so I only put dark around the lavender heads. The smearing darkness acts as marker of the fragrance and echos the viewer's focus when looking at this plant. I like how I made the stocks and leaves pale and so the flowers hover above. Lavender has tall stalks.

romantic botanicals #68 The Three Suitors, July 6,  2016 oil on canvas 9" x 12" sunny, 4h

a red squirrel eats a unripe apple above me

a dragonfly eats a moth in front of me

No comments:

Post a Comment