Monday 1 June 2015

Botanicals #27

twenty-seventh painting

Canada Columbine is a native prairie plant and it comes up in the same spots every year. I am painting and pausing to take photos of the red squirrel who lives in the apple tree next door. My brother gave me a zoom lens, so nice of him.  I sit for so long quietly painting that the birds, butterflies, rabbits and squirrels come and go about their lives around me.

The flowers have tall five pointed crowns so I play with the curvy loopyness of them. I find myself nick naming them the "alien queens". I accentuate the hovering spaceship nature of them by painting the stem lightly. I make the background a blur of the colours of the neighbour's blue-grey roof and the purple lilacs. 

botanicals #27 May 27, 2015 oil on canvas 9" x 12"








No comments:

Post a Comment