Tuesday 26 May 2015

Botanicals #21

twenty-first painting

I am in the back yard and the dandelions have sprung up all over the lawn, Their sunny yellow head the Marie Antoinette of the neighbourhood. I like them as they are pretty with the lacy leaves and cheery flower and the amazing fact that they are food.

Just has I finish this painting and take the photograph when a Frisbee is tossed and it hits and sticks to my painting - amazing considering how small my painting is and how big the yard is.

Our cloth Frisbee is old and hundreds of red fibres embed in the sticky wet oil paint. I have to wipe off the whole painting except for the top left corner a spot that was not my best bit. I paint again and it is better. Often there is a painting out part of the image as you go, an educated gamble that what you will add will say more, be more or integrate all the other parts of the painting better. It was an accident and I am OK with it as it is all part of the rambling plein-air adventure.

This is a thick painting as I am out of linseed oil so the brush strokes have a blocky look. I make a painting of swirling bits and pieces with a dropping out of existence in the middle. All the flowers frame this nothingness.

botanicals #21a May 21, 2015 oil on canvas 9" x 12"


botanicals #21b May 21, 2015 oil on canvas 9" x 12"


No comments:

Post a Comment