Monday 27 February 2017

Couples - Mr. Dressup and The Fairy Godmother

I was thinking of the nicest people and how they should be together. I loved to watch Mr. Dressup draw. His house was so clean and calm. He had a great sense of humour and was very kind. I loved the non-scripted chatter between him and Casey and Finnegan - who was silent but communicated too. The Fairy Godmother never had a big roll but seemed to not judge but help out if one was in trouble.  She was very smiley too.  I think they would have a playful relationship. It is interesting that the photos of the puppeteer of Casey and Finnegan, Judith Lawrence, looks a lot like the Fairy Godmother.

Mr. Dressup and The Fairy Godmother, 9" x 12" oil on canvas 2017

I am riding this balance between real and drawing using outlining and shading so they are real people who have roots in drawings and drawing. I softened the background to have them magically pop forward. I researched 70's wallpaper to give it a subtle 1970's vibe and I put those colours in the background because these are my childhood characters. I lowered the neckline of Fairy Godmother's dress because it was god awful unflattering. Now she wears a low cut hoodie style dress.  The wand sparkles I repainted many times and then finally settled on bold chunky white strokes to make it the brightest spot of the painting so it would glow.



No comments:

Post a Comment